top of page

アメリカから日本へ輸入について   (日本の輸入側が気を付けておくべき点を掲載) )TTBより  



The minimum font size for labels is approximately 8 point for all characters. Labels should include the following information (as applicable), in Japanese:

  • Name of the product

  • The word “Imported” and Country of Origin

  • Name/address of the importer

  • Ingredients, other than additives, in descending order of weight percentage

  • Food additives in descending order of weight on a separate line from other ingredients

  • Alcohol content

  • Container Volume (listed in milliliters or liters)

  • The net weight (metric units only)

  • Best before” date

  • Method of use, storage instructions, or preparation, (when established by the Minister of Health, Labor, and Welfare for the product, or when its absence could cause confusion).

  • Labeling to prevent consumption by minors (All liquor containers must clearly state that "Consumption of alcohol by minors is prohibited," or "Alcohol may only be consumed by those ages 20 or over.")

It is strongly recommended that in the event that a product label does not clearly indicate additives, preservatives, coloring material, spices or flavorings, a certificate with detailed descriptions of the ingredients (i.e., the names of chemical compounds, chemical names and international index numbers on the colors) be attached to each shipment in order to expedite import procedures. Details of food importing procedures may be viewed on the MHLW website: (

Also, visit for information regarding the JAS (Japan Agricultural Standards) labeling enforced by the Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry, and Fisheries of Japan.

Allergen Labeling:

Beginning April 1, 2002, the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (MHLW) began enforcing the allergen labeling scheme on foods containing ingredients known as allergens. MHLW designated five ingredients as allergens subject to labeling.

The five designated foods (wheat, buckwheat, egg, milk and peanut) are subject to mandatory labeling. Foods containing those five foods, or ingredients prepared from them, must be labeled. If a food contains an ingredient made from a designated potential allergen, the label must identify the source. Please refer to the USDA FAS report JA5037 on Revised Allergen Labeling for more information:

Genetically Modified (GM) Food Labeling:

In Japan, genetically modified content must be labeled when it exceeds 5% of the total weight. Wine products, however, are not currently listed among those food products that require such labeling.

Please refer to the USDA FAS report JA6013 on biotechnology for more information on Japanese labeling requirements for products derived from genetically modified organisms (GMOs) or products containing ingredients produced from GMOs:


These include:

  • Notification Form for Importation of Foods, etc.” – two copies required

  • Sanitary (Health) Certificate, if necessary

  • Results of Examination (from analysis of alcoholic beverage)

  • Documents showing the materials, additives and manufacturing methods



•「食品等の輸入届出書」 – 2つのコピーが必要





Importers do not need to register as an importer or obtain an importer license.


Below are the import procedures under Japan’s Food Sanitation Law:

Before shipping a new or unknown product to Japan, the Ministry of Health, Labor, and Welfare requires prior consultation – this means the importer should deliver a small sample of the product to be imported to the MHLW port inspectors’ office, along with a certificate certifying compliance with required product regulations. Such samples will be inspected to insure that no importation problems exist before the product is actually exported to Japan. Importers of products which are to be imported for the first time must also submit reference materials showing a detailed ingredients list and the manufacturing process. Another option is to have a sample of the product tested by one of the MHLW official or registered laboratories located in the U.S. A full list of the registered laboratories is found on the MHLW website (

Once prior consultation is complete, importers should prepare any required documents and have them ready for the arrival of cargo.

Once a shipment has arrived, the importer should submit the “Notification Form for Importation of Foods, etc.” form or submit an online import notification. In order to submit the notification through the online electronic system, importers are required to register their computer terminal along with the necessary information to the MHLW beforehand.

The required documents will be examined by inspectors at a MHLW quarantine station, and if inspection is unnecessary, the importer will be issued a Certificate of Notification, allowing for customs clearance and afterwards, domestic distribution.

However, if inspection is deemed necessary, it will go through (a) an Administrative Inspection (Monitoring Inspection) at the Quarantine Station or (b) a designated inspection laboratory where it will have an Ordered Inspection or an Administrative Inspection other than a Monitoring Inspection at the Quarantine Station. If the shipment passes inspection, the importer will be issued a Certificate of Notification, allowing for customs clearance and afterwards, domestic distribution. If not, the importer must dispose or re-ship the cargo.

In order to see a chart depicting the entire process, please visit the following MHLW website:

Also visit JETRO’s Standards and Regulations website ( to see Japan’s Food Sanitation Law, as well as other documents which concern import requirements, etc.


新製品または未知の製品を日本に発送する前に、厚生労働省は事前の協議を必要とします-これは、輸入業者が証明書とともに厚生労働省の港湾検査官事務所に輸入される製品の少量のサンプルを提供する必要があることを意味します必要な製品規制への準拠を証明します。このようなサンプルは、製品が実際に日本に輸出される前に、輸入の問題がないことを確認するために検査されます。初めて輸入される製品の輸入業者は、詳細な成分リストと製造プロセスを示す参考資料も提出する必要があります。もう1つのオプションは、米国にある厚生労働省の公認または登録された研究所のいずれかで製品のサンプルをテストすることです。登録された研究所の完全なリストは、MHLWのWebサイト(にあります。 topics / yunyu / 5 / dl / a3.pdf)。








AG Trade Office, Tokyo

U.S. Embassy

Unit 45004 Box 241

APO AP 96337-5004

Tel: (011-81-3) 3505-6050

Fax: (011-81-3) 3582-6054 or 3582-6429



Alcoholic Beverage Tax Division, Indirect Taxation Department

National Tax Administration Agency

3-1-1 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0013

Tel: (011-81-3) 3581-4161

Fax: (011-81-3) 3593 0406


JETRO (Japan External Trade Organization)

Import Promotion Dept.

2-2-5 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-8466

Phone: (011-81-3) 3582-5562

Fax: (011-81-3) 5572-7044


Customs Counselors of Tokyo Customs

5-5-30 Konan, Minato-ku, Tokyo

Tel: (011-81-3) 3529-0700



Labeling and Standards Division of Food Safety and Consumer Affairs Bureau of Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries

1-2-1 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-8950

Tel: (011-81-3) 3501-3727

Fax: (011-81-3) 3502-8084

Environmental Health Division, Health Service Bureau

Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare

3-3-7 Kasumigaseki, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 100-0013

Tel: (011-81-3) 5253-1111


Japan Wines and Spirits Importers Association

Daichi Tentoku Bldg., 1-13-5 Toranomon, Minato-ku, Tokyo 105-0001

Tel: (011-81-03) 3503-6505

Fax: (011-81-03) 3503-6504

The information in this guide was obtained from external sources, including the websites of various governmental agencies and organizations, direct contact with those agencies and organizations, and from Foreign Agricultural Service (FAS) Attaché reports. Consequently, the accuracy of this information depends upon the accuracy of the sources.

TTB is not responsible for the content of external websites.

This page was last reviewed on August 17, 2010



bottom of page